What are Veneers?
Dental veneers are thin layers of porcelain ceramic that are placed or bonded in front of the visible area of the tooth for a white, gloss finish. These are usually only applied to the portion of the teeth visible during smiling or talking.
Veneers appear like natural teeth, only with a whiter, smoother, and straighter look. Veneers can be a great solution for:
- Cover discolored teeth with a bright, whiter shade that won’t stain again
- Smoothing out or improving the shape of teeth
- Closing or filling in gaps between teeth
- Lengthening smaller teeth for a more consistent and aesthetically-pleasing tooth size
- Make teeth appear more aligned or straight (only for slight adjustments)
- Giving teeth with years of natural deterioration or damage a brand new look!
Types of Veneers/Getting Your Veneers
There are two types of dental veneers, both available at Meridian Dental’s local Wasilla, AK office.
- Traditional veneers: These veneers are thin layers of porcelain placed where a layer of enamel has been removed during the procedure by our dentist. This is a permanent treatment once the layer of enamel is removed to make way for the veneer.
- No-prep or prepless veneers: Such veneers are also thin porcelain layers fitted to your teeth, only enamel doesn’t need to be removed. Because of these, no-prep veneers are not permanent like traditional veneers are. The veneer is simply bonded right onto the existing enamel layer.
The process for receiving these veneers can be either direct or indirect. The direct method involves a process called bonding, wherein the composite resin is placed on the outside of the tooth.
The indirect technique typically involves two consecutive appointments since the veneers are prepared at a dental laboratory. In the initial appointment, teeth are prepared, impressions are created, and teeth are fitted with a temporary covering. Usually, within 2-3 weeks the permanent veneers are prepared and replace the temporary coverings. The laboratory-designed veneers are typically manufactured with pressed ceramic or porcelain. Because they are handcrafted by skilled technicians, they have a beautiful, aesthetic appeal that matches other teeth or veneers and look like natural teeth.
How to Take Care of Tooth Veneers
The porcelain used to create dental veneers is a sturdy material that’s built to last. But that doesn’t mean your veneers are not unbreakable or susceptible to normal wear and tear. They require the same care as the rest of your teeth. Keep brushing and flossing every day, and check-in with our dentist on how your veneers are doing during your biannual teeth cleanings.
Try to avoid eating food that is extremely sticky or hard, especially right after receiving your veneers. If you have a habit of grinding your teeth, ask our dentist about getting fitted for a protective plastic mouth guard to wear at night.
Veneers may need to be replaced or reapplied over time, but they can usually last 20 years or more.
Why Choose Porcelain Veneers over Tooth Crowns?
One benefit of veneers over crowns is that less tooth material is removed. The procedure for receiving veneers is less painful as a result, but even the final product is also less painful. Dental crowns are bulkier than thin veneers which is why so much of the tooth needs to be removed so they can be placed. Veneers, on the other hand, feel just like a new layer of enamel, rather than a large cover for your teeth.
Veneers are strongly recommended for teeth with little tooth structure or large fillings. Talk with our dentist to discuss which option is right for you and what you are looking for in a smile.
Love Your Smile with Veneers from Meridian Dental
Call our cosmetic dental office today to schedule your consultation appointment! We at Meridian Dental are here to help you feel great about your smile. Beautifying teeth is our specialty. Visit us in Wasilla, AK for teeth that look brand new and absolutely stunning.